SEND Information Report

We are an inclusive school – and do very our best to support children with additional needs. We have a skilled Special Needs Co-ordinator, Mrs Paula Reynolds, who will be happy to meet with parents to discuss any pupil who may need additional provision, as well as a talented team of staff with experience of a range of special needs.

We aim to be inclusive for all pupils and parents/carers regardless of any additional need and disability. In order to do this we have the following in place:

  • We always support the use of physical aids, which have been assigned to a child to support access e.g. wheelchairs, walking frame, hearing aids, large print.
  • Any therapy programmes which are designed by specialists e.g. Occupational Therapists, Physiotherapists will be delivered into school.
  • The school is committed to make the building, grounds and classrooms accessible both for pupils and stakeholders with SEN and disability needs e.g. disabled toilets, ramps, handrails, flat surfaces for use with physical aids etc.
  • Pupils with physical aids e.g. hearing aids, walking frames, wheelchair etc. are not discriminated against and are positively promoted.
  • Risk assessments are in place.
  • Regular health and safety inspections.
  • Training for staff on use of physical aids for pupils specific individual needs.
  • Reports and written information take account of pupils’ disabilities and pupils’ and parents’ preferred formats to be made available within reasonable time frame

Click here to read our Accessibility Plan

Our SEND Policy and SEND Information Report and Local Offer gives information about the services and support provided by our school for SEND pupils.

SEN Information Report and Local Offer

Every Local Authority is required to publish information about services that are available in their area for children and young people from birth to 25 who have Special Educational Needs and/or disabilities (SEND) and also services outside the area that children and young people can use. This is known as the Local Offer.

Information on North Yorkshire County’s local offer can be found by clicking this link.

All schools are required to complete a SEN Information Report that will contribute to the local offer and detail the school’s provision.  This is contained in the document below.

Our SEN Information Report – Updated September 2019

This is information for parents/carers of children who have Special Educational Needs or a disability (SEND) and all those who support children with additional needs. This information outlines the support and provision you can expect to receive, if you choose our school for your child.

Special Educational Needs and Disability Co-ordinator (SENCO) is Mrs Paula Reynolds.

Special Educational Needs and Disability named Governor is Mrs Clare White

Paper copies in a variety of formats are available on request.


Paper copies in a variety of formats are available on request.

  North Yorkshire ‘offer’     School ‘offer’
Universal Provision High quality support for learning within mainstream lessons is the most important factor in helping pupils with SEND to make good progress alongside their peers. Your school will be able to describe some of the approaches that classroom teachers and other staff will be using throughout the day to help address your child’s needs within lessons. They may also be able to share with you the school’s overall plan of support (provision map), which outlines many of these strategies. The school must have a named governor who holds the school to account for making good provision for pupils with SEND.

All staff are committed to providing quality first teaching so that all children can make at least good or better progress with their learning.

Lessons are carefully differentiated to meet the needs of all children whatever their learning style. Staff use a variety of teaching styles and resources in lessons to support children’s learning. The school places great importance on the fact that children learn in different ways.


Recording Provision Where the school feels that something additional or different is needed to support your child because they have SEND they will discuss this carefully with you. This information may well be recorded in a document for you and your child, known as an individual provision map or an individual education plan. This should include: details of any strategies being used to support your child in class; details of any extra support or interventions for your child; your child’s learning targets; the next date when your child’s progress will be reviewed. Children who have been identified as needing some additional support will have their specific targets recorded on an Individual Provision Map (IPM). These are updated with parents and children termly. Some children with more complex needs may also have an Inclusion Passport. This describes not only the needs and support available but the child’s individual strengths. It provides a valuable record of the support given and impact over a period of time. This is reviewed at least termly or as required.
Interventions Schools use a range of interventions to support pupils with SEND to make better progress. Interventions are structured learning programmes. Your school will be able to explain to you: what interventions your child is receiving and what are the intended learning outcomes; when during the week any interventions will be delivered and for how many weeks; who will be delivering the interventions (usually a well trained teaching assistant) and where (e.g. in class or outside the classroom); how the interventions will relate to and support learning in the classroom; how they will be monitored closely to make sure they are helping your child to make accelerated progress.

We are able to offer a wide variety of interventions to support the needs of all children.

Interventions are carefully monitored in order to ensure they have a positive impact on children’s learning. These include; Paired Reading, Reading Intervention, Units of Sound, Lexia, Speaking and Listening Groups, Plus 1, Power of 2.

Staff receive training and support from a number of different external agencies/providers.

All interventions are recorded on a whole school provision map updated termly.

Extra Adult Support There may be occasions when the school feels that some additional support within lessons may help your child to make better progress. This is by no means always the case. However, if some additional small group or one to one support within lessons is planned, the school will explain how this will work, what the aims of this support will be and how and when the impact of this support will be reviewed. Most importantly, this support should be aiming to make your child more independent in lessons.

Our school has skilled teaching assistants who support both individual and groups of children throughout school.

Although, from time to time, children may need a high level of individual support, our aim is always to help children to be more independent in lessons.

Staff receive training in different areas of SEND.

Expected Progress All pupils with SEND should make at least expected progress, in line with their peers. Your school will be able to explain how it will be monitoring your child’s progress to ensure that it is at least in line with expectations. This will usually include progress make with personal targets, and overall progress within National Curriculum levels.

When children enter primary school there are natural expectations which are the expected levels for children at the end of an academic year/key stage. If children reach this level it is recorded as ‘expected’.

Not all children will be able to achieve these national expectations and progress appropriately without some additional support. This may be for a short or more extended period of time.

The progress of all children is reviewed at least termly to ensure they are making expected or better progress.

You will have the opportunity to discuss your child’s progress at the parent/teacher consultation evenings and at review meetings.

Support from other agencies The Local Authority offers a range of specialist support and outreach services, including educational psychologists and local enhanced mainstream schools, to help schools to deliver appropriate support and interventions. Other specialists such as speech and language therapists can also support schools in this. If the school feels that the involvement of another agency will help to meet your child’s needs you will be informed and asked to give your consent.

Sometimes it will be helpful for school to request some additional support & expertise from an outside agency.

Our school has established excellent working relationships with the following agencies in North Yorkshire:

  • Educational Psychologist
  • School Nurse and Health Visitor
  • Educational Social Worker
  • Sensory, Physical and Medical Teaching Team
  • Speech and Language Therapist
  • Physiotherapist
  • Occupational Therapists
  • Paediatrician
  • Enhanced Mainstream Schools (specific learning difficulties)
  • Autism Outreach
  • Compass Buzz

 Professionals from the above agencies regularly support staff and children in school. School would only contact an outside agency after consultation with parents.

On-going communication with parents

 Schools communicate regularly with parents, usually once a term, to discuss how well their child is doing. For pupils with SEND it is often desirable that there is more frequent communication as it is vital that parents and school work together closely. Your knowledge and understanding of your child’s needs is essential to support the school in making the best provision for them. This should also take account of your and your child’s hopes, personal goals and interests.

This will allow the school to regularly explain to you where your child is in their learning, and to work with you to ensure the most appropriate targets are set to ensure progress. You should be informed about the National Curriculum levels at which your child is working. If you are not sure what these mean, don’t be afraid to ask.

On-going communication with school may include: regular contact through a home-school book or by email to keep you informed of things that are going well or particular successes; more regular meetings to update you on your child’s progress and whether the support is working; clear information about the impact of any interventions; guidance for you to support your child’s learning at home.

Regular contact with parents is really important for children with SEND. All parents have the opportunity to discuss their child’s progress and targets at Parent/Teacher Consultation evenings and at review meetings.

For some children, regular communication takes place on a daily basis through the use of a home/school book or contact with the class teacher before or after school.


Inclusion Passports Many schools use Inclusion Passports. This is a document that summarises the support that has been given to a pupil over a period of time, and the difference that this support has made. You may like to ask your child’s school whether an inclusion passport would be useful for you and your child. Your child may well have their own version which they can share with staff and which can help to explain their interests and things that help them learn and to enjoy school.

Inclusion Passports are used for some children in order to summarise the support that has been provided for a child over a period of time. The documentation also highlights individual strengths and achievements. It details strategies which have been ineffective as well as noting the positive impact particular support has made to the child’s learning.

This Passport will follow the child as they move on to a new school.

Parent Partnership

A Parent Partnership Co-ordinator can be contacted through North Yorkshire’s education offices or on 0845 034 9469. The Parent Partnership Co-ordinators can offer impartial advice and support which could include making a home visit to listen to any concerns you may have, or attending meetings with you. They may also be able to put you in touch with other organisations or parent support groups.


The Parent Support Adviser is available to offer advice, listen to worries or concerns, offer home visits, attend review meetings or support transition to a new school. Their advice is impartial and can be provided in the home setting. They can be contacted via the SENCO.
Statutory Assessment For a very few children more help will be needed than is normally available through the school’s own resources. Schools, parents and other agencies may decide that it is necessary to request a statutory assessment through the local authority. Your school, or a Parent Partnership Co-ordinator can talk to you about this in more detail

From time to time children may not make progress despite receiving additional support in school and from external agencies. In consultation with parents and other agencies, the school may decide to request a statutory assessment (RSA) in order to provide the long-term support a child may need.

School is not the only organisation who can request statutory assessment (RSA). Parents can also make a request to the local education authority.

This request is referred to as an Education, Health Care Assessment (EHCAR).

Key Contacts All   mainstream schools have a SENCo. They, along with your child’s class   teacher, will be able to discuss your child’s needs with you, the   support for learning that the school is providing to meet their needs,   and what expectations the school has for your child’s progress.

In our schools we operate an ‘open door’ policy. Parents and carers are encouraged to speak with the class teacher about any concerns they may have. They will be able to discuss any support your child is receiving.

If you wish to discuss your child’s needs please contact the SENCO who will be able to talk about how our school can support children with SEND.